After an initial success in Canada in 2010, the second edition of the CAIE took place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from April 25 to 28, 2012. The event attracted over 615 participants from 32 countries spanning 4 continents. Over 300 higher education institutions, 40 national, regional and international university associations, and governmental agencies/authorities of 8 countries were represented at the CAIE 2012. Participants included university presidents and vice-presidents, directors of international relations and academic mobility, scholars specializing in themes related to the internationalization of higher education, and representatives from governments, the private sector and national, regional and international university/higher education organizations.
The program highlights of the CAIE 2012 included an Inaugural Ceremony, with interventions by Amaro Henrique Pessoa Lins, Secretary of Higher Education of the Brazilian Ministry of Education, Roberto de Souza Salles, President of the Universidade Federal Fluminense, and Marcia Rubio Correa, President of the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú and President of the IOHE. The CAIE 2012 also had the privilege to welcome His Excellency, the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, Alvaro Toubes Prata, National Secretary for Technological Development and Innovation of Brazil, and the late Carlos Fuentes, internationally renowned Mexican writer and intellectual. Moreover, the event offered:
- A Plenary Debate on Internationalization and Mobility;
- A Plenary Interview on the Internationalization of Innovation, Science and Technology;
- 21 workshops given by high-level representatives from HEIs and international organizations;
- 50 concurrent sessions presented by 150 academics from the Americas and other regions;
- A networking event organized by the Association of Brazilian Higher Education Institutions’ Offices for International Relations (FAUBAI);
- A delegation of 35 Canadian university presidents, led by the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC);
- An exhibition space of higher education associations and institutions as well as sponsors of the CAIE-Brazil 2012; and
- Cultural activities.